Friday, June 15, 2012

Screaming for New Orleans Ice Cream: Café au Lait & Beignets

A rule of thumb I have about ice cream is that my flavor of choice must have staying power. Call me a pig, fattie, glutton...whatever, I don't care. But, if I can't snarf down an entire pint in one sitting, something is amiss. Each and every bite has to be just as good as the last, all the way down to the final scrapings at the bottom of the carton. Surprisingly, this was not the case with my pint of New Orleans Ice Cream Co.'s Café au Lait & Beignets.


Don't get me wrong, I adore the rich, sweet flavor of Coffee & Chicory from Cool Brew (you know I'm addicted to Cool Brew) and the "toasty" accents of steamed milk. Digging into the creamy batch and hefting another chunk of deep-fried beignet (made by Blue Dot Donuts, by the way) tickled me too, but I just couldn't handle the ribbons of powdered sugar. I know, I know! What's a beignet without powdered sugar? Well, don't crucify me, but I usually brush the mountain of sugar off when I go to Cafe du Monde. It's just way too sweet for me.

That being said, I still ate at least half of it...

No comments: