Friday, June 8, 2012

Screaming for New Orleans Ice Cream: Lemon Doberge Cake

Almost two years ago, New Orleans Ice Cream Co. owner Adrian Simpson graciously donated seven pints of his delicious ice cream for what resulted in a massive pig-out session where my friends and I tasted the different flavors and voted on our top three. Well, he's done it to me again...

Unless you've been living under a rock, you probably know that New Orleans Ice Cream has released a ton of new flavors and since he liked my last review so much, Adrian sent over nine pints this time, asking for my honest opinion. Nine. Nine pints of ice cream again sat in my freezer for a few days while I formulated an idea of how to approach a review. But this time, my planning was foiled when I caught John standing in front of the freezer with a large spoon in hand and a guilty look on his face.

"I just couldn't resist!" he cried, pointing to the double-row of creamy, cool goodness on a day that had already sweltered well above 90 degrees.

So, in honor of the long summer months ahead of us, I will be reviewing one flavor of New Orleans Ice Cream a week in the hopes that you'll find this a delicious way to stay cool.

First up is Lemon Doberge Cake. Although I am a huge fan of Doberge, I have never been one to dig tart desserts. All of my life I had no difficulty passing on lemon bars, orange sherbet (Dad's obsession) and key lime pie...until now.


The Lemon Doberge Cake ice cream is mostly a wonderfully creamy and bright flavored lemon base with hidden chunks of crumbly, moist cake and ribbons of tangy lemon sauce. If you are a fan of citrus desserts, this ice cream will certainly make you swoon and if you're not? Well, you just might become a convert like me...

5 comments:

Helena Tiare said...

I hope you can point me to the nearest place to get these ice-creams around carrollton and maple st...i wanna try that lemon flavor!

Todd-Michael St. Pierre said...

WOW! Thanks for your insights! Enjoyed!

Unknown said...

Would like to know if sugar free versions will be in the picture

Unknown said...

I have to say, I found your blog in the "Braggin' Rights" Section on the New Orleans Ice Cream website, and I am *in love!* With your blog that is. And ice cream. But I digress. Anyway, I've bookmarked your blog and I use it as inspiration for my Creole travelling dreams. :) Keep up the awesome work!

Unknown said...

@Sydney - I am so glad you like it! Thanks for the kind words :) I appreciate them more than you know.