Wednesday, April 22, 2015

House of the week: Condo on Napoleon Avenue

My boyfriend John won't even entertain the idea of buying a condo. When I find a cute half double or a cool apartment in an old home spilling over with character and history, John will completely write it off if there's a mere mention of the "c" word. But, I do believe that if this particular condo was anywhere near our price range, he'd swiftly change his mind.

Located inside a stunning building that long ago served as St. Elizabeth's, an orphanage in the 1860's (previously owned by famous author Anne Rice), this particular unit appears to be centered in what was, at one point, a chapel. We're talking 24-ft ceilings, awe-inspiring stained glass windows, 3 bedroom, 5 bathroom, 5,000 square feet of reverent wonder. I mean, just look at this place! There's a freaking theater upstairs! For the first time on this fantasy house-hunt of mine, I am at a loss for words. 

Who lives in places like this? Listed at a paltry $4,950,000, I'm sure it will never be me. 

1 comment:

Christy said...

Holy moley! Why 5 bathrooms??? I guess when you can afford something like this, especially as a second home (!!) you entertain a lot. I did have the pleasure of touring this building, including this chapel, when Anne Rice owned it, pre-condos.