Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Melting for Meltdown

You may have noticed the conspicuous lack of dessert in my last post. Well, that was on purpose. I thought the sweet cool treat we had deserved a post all their own. After lunch, I deliberately refused to order dessert because there was one spot in the French Quarter that I've been dying to try for quite some time now - Meltdown.

For at least a year I have heard foodies sing the praises of Meltdown. All natural ingredients and flavors like Chocolate Sea Salt Pistachio, Lemon Ginger, Pineapple Wheatgrass and Blood Orange are enough to pull anyone to the Quarter for a lick, but in all honesty...I am a popsicle junkie. Seriously. My name is Kim Ranjbar and I have a problem. 

If you don't believe me, ask my boyfriend who has made many a trip to Rite Aid or Walgreens to purchase Otter Pops or Flavor Ice only to satisfy my insatiable, daily summer cravings for popsicles. If Meltdown was on Oak Street, I would be their best customer!

Though the heat index was well above 100, there was a spring in my step and a smile on my face as we headed towards the ultimate Popsicle destination on Dumaine Street. By the time we reached the small shop, sweat was running into my eyes and my face was turning a lovely shade of violet, but my cure was only a few dollars away.

John got a Blueberry, Lavender and Coconut Milk popsicle that was absolutely amazing. Floral, fruity, sweet and creamy coolness all rolled into one. Anne couldn't resist getting a Ginger Pear that the owner said was just created from a cache of fresh pears she recently obtained from a family member and I, being a java lover, could not resist the Vietnamese Coffee replete with the flavor of condensed milk and rich, robust coffee.

On the way back to the car, it was a race to see if we could eat the delicious popsicles before they melted onto the sidewalks, but by the time we were waiting for the valet, we were all craving more. 

2 comments:

Laila said...

YUM! I just got back from Mexico, where I ate paletas (popsicles) by the dozen. My favorite was called gazpacho moreliano and had mango, pineapple, jicama, lime and chile.

Unknown said...

Holy moley! That sounds fantastic!