Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The bread of (my) life...

"All sorrows are less with bread."  ~Miguel de Cervantes, Don Quixote

Easily the biggest obstacle to shedding pounds would have to be my severe addiction to bread...oh and don't forget butter (because I can't seem to have one without the other). I really love bread, all kinds of bread; French, sourdough, ciabatta, focaccia, wheat, white, raisin, corn, rye, potato, lavash, pita, soda, tortillas, brioche...don't even get me started on quick breads.

Strangely enough, bread is one of those dining items that seem like a "given." Dinner rolls tend not to be included when you tell your friends about your fantastic meal the next day, not unless they are unusual. Those perfect yeasty creations just sit at the corner of your table only to be absentmindedly used to swab up the sauces from your dish, but rarely are they raved about. Not today!  Here is my pictorial ode to some of the most delicious breads I've encountered on my many, many cheats...


If you've ever been to Babylon Cafe on Maple Street, not only would you know they make about the best falafels around, but they also have home made bread that is simply wonderful, always fresh and especially delicious. I find it perfect for dipping in their Baba Ganush or Hummus.


If I didn't mention the bread from Patois, you'd all be in shock, but I am sure I waxed just a little poetic about their bread when I first blogged about this incredible restaurant several months ago. Patois' rolls are light, airy, buttery and (to be perfectly frank) I wish they gave you more than two.


La Petite Grocery has wonderful rolls that have a tart, chewy crumb and a thick crust. But, what's even more fabulous is the sweet, house made (churned?) butter which arrives with your warm rolls in a nice, thick slab.


Just recently at MiLa, I got to enjoy two different breads in one basket! There was a nice, crumbly cornbread that was served with a tart lima bean puree and warm, sweet potato rolls that we slathered with sweet butter sprinkled with sea salt.


For our Valentine's dinner at Roux on Orleans, we enjoyed thick slices of sourdough and olive loaf that the restaurant acquired from La Louisiane Bakery. They were delicious, plentiful and perfect for soaking up the remnants of our Oyster Rockefeller soup.


At Domenica we were served large slices of chewy ciabatta with an herb-infused extra virgin olive oil that was  absolutely delectable. Good thing I got a shot of the bread before my camera died...


Finally, I would be totally remiss if I didn't mention something on the sweet side, our assorted breakfast bread selection from Dante's Kitchen. Blueberry muffin, cornbread madeleines, banana nut bread and fennel scones...oh my!

2 comments:

Cathy said...

Ahhhh, my favorite part of the meal. Frankly, if the bread isn't good, the whole meal is pretty much a wash as far as I'm concerned.

Unknown said...

Right? ;)