Friday, September 20, 2013

House of the week: Creole cottage on Burgundy Street

The first apartment I looked at when I was planning my move to New Orleans was on Burgundy Street in the French Quarter. Local realtor Maurice Guillot met my mother and I in front of the "garçonnière" we wanted to look at and took no time correcting our pronunciations. "Baby, if you're going to live down here, you've got to say 'bur-GUN-dee.'" Now, 10 years later, I've been saying it that way for so long, I forgot how I said it before. Anyhow, there's a new Creole cottage for sale on Burgundy (bur-GUN-dee) Street that I certainly can't afford now, nor could I afford it them...but I sure wish I could.

This gorgeous 1830's cottage may not look like much from the front, but it's a three bedroom, two and a half bath beauty with about 2700 square feet of living space. The house features a gourmet kitchen, 18th century chandeliers, high ceilings, hardwood floors and even has the original ceiling medallions and fireplace mantles intact. In the back, a spacious brick courtyard separates the main house from the slave quarters which have been remodeled into a two story guest house with its very own kitchen.

Other than being located in the historic French Quarter, this gorgeous house is less than a block from the Cabrini Playground, an officially unofficial dog park that Pippin (my sweet shih-tzu) absolutely loves. Only wish I could swing the asking price of $1,595,000.

No comments: