Friday, February 20, 2015

House of the week: Mansion on Amelia Street

"Sing hey! for the bath at close of day that washes the weary mud away!" -J.R.R. Tolkien

Submerging most of one's body in a tub filled with water hot enough to to make you sigh audibly is easily one of the best things life has to offer. I know there are plenty of people out there who prefer a shower, but bathing is not just about cleanliness. Taking a long, luxurious bath can relieve both body and mind, making you feel like a woman of means even if you're a member of the working poor.

Sometimes, when I am browsing though house listings, certain features catch my eye and I can't get them out of my mind. That was the case with this particular house on Amelia Street. Indeed, this spectacular (and gargantuan), century plus, five bedroom, five and half bathroom house possesses many architectural features I love, from a wrap-around porch and floor-to-ceiling windows to transoms, French doors and a swimming pool; there was one particular image I can't seem to erase.

Although it's not overly grandiose like some bathrooms I've seen, this one image of a free-standing, modern tub in front of a blue-tiled fireplace literally makes me drool. I can picture myself lounging in that tub with a fire crackling, candles overwhelming the mantle and sudsy bubbles oozing over the side onto the hardwood floor.

I may as well continue fantasizing though, because at $1,600,000, a dream is all it will ever be. I think it's time to take a bath ...

No comments: