Sunday, September 19, 2010

Finding serenity at Creole Creamery

After breakfasting at Surrey's, we headed home determined to be productive. Slogging through my daily projects seemed especially onerous to me. Admittedly, doing dishes (by hand) can be particularly grueling, but even walking Pippin, something I can't help but enjoy, felt like a chore. Something was off.  Something was missing. It wasn't until late in the afternoon that it hit me.

I didn't have any dessert!

I had completely forgotten my weekly dose of decadence, but my body, obviously, had not. My mind raced through the available dessert options.  Did I want a Hubig's Apple Pie? A napoleon from Brocato's? A thick chocolate malt from Camilla Grill? In the end, the dessert that won out is what usually prevails. Ice cream.

Like a whirlwind, I bounced around the house getting dressed, brushing my hair and grabbing my purse. I was just sliding on my sunglasses when John said "Where the heck are you going?" Rushing through an explanation while pushing him into his clothes, we drove to Prytania and rushed into the already crowded, brightly pink parlor. Everyone else needed Creole Creamery, too.  Maybe it was the moon?

Mostly on my own, I gobbled down a banana split with three luscious flavors of my choosing; Creole Cream Cheese, Salted Caramel and Coffee Pecan Brittle. The split also contained fresh helpings of banana (of course), strawberries, pineapple, chocolate fudge, whipped cream, bright sprinkles and three Maraschino cherries.

John inhaled a Cookie Monster Sundae. A scoop of Cookie Monster ice cream with crushed chocolate chip and Oreo cookies, hot fudge, whipped cream and cookie crumbles...along with about 1/3 of my sundae, of course.

While slurping up the last goopy delicious spoonfuls, I watched people filing into the shop and noticed everyone had that unbalanced look, that physical mark of angst. They were not yet at peace with the world like I was. We left our booth with a smile knowing that they too, would soon find serenity.

1 comment:

Dani said...

sniff sniff... I missed the salted caramel again?