Friday, May 15, 2015

Fat Falafel plus at 1000 Figs

While I realize I constantly tout the awesomeness of my Oak Street neighborhood, there are areas all over the city of which I would love to be a part. One such neighborhood is the Esplanade Ridge, especially that area right next to the Bayou St. John. The trees and houses are stunning; you're right near the bayou, City Park and the fairgrounds; and you have "around-the-corner" access to restaurants like Cafe Degas, Liuzza's by the Track and, a new addition, 1000 Figs.

Opened a little over 6 months ago, the folks from one of the city's favorite food trucks, The Fat Falafel, have planted their specialties into a brick and mortar along with a few other tasty tidbits. About a month after it opened, Lorin and I visited 100 Figs and enjoyed a fabulous sit-down lunch which always tops standing on the sidewalk, shoveling goodies in my face with a plastic fork. Does that make me a snob? Maybe. But I'm also a gimp with back problems who enjoys a comfortable seat and real silverware...so sue me.

The restaurant was smaller than I expected, but offered gorgeous, wood benches and tables, plus a high counter along the front window where guests can perch, savor lunch and watch the world go by. I wanted to try one of everything, but to start we ordered some crispy, flash-fried Brussels sprouts with red cabbage and salad greens drizzled with fresh lemon. We also scored a big bowl of hand-cut French fries served with a thick, creamy labneh or yogurt for dipping. I couldn't stop munching on the fries and long after we "finished" and were paying the check, I couldn't help sneaking forkfuls of the crispy sprouts.

For her entree, Lorin ordered a ginormous squid salad and I opted for their signature falafel in platter form. I got a taste of Lorin's calamari which was nice, but I was far more focused on the light, crunchy falafel that was served with a creamy hummus, salad greens and wedges of pita. Overall, it was a lovely lunch and while I realize French fries and falafel are ... well ... fried, I felt like I had enjoyed a healthy meal because it didn't weigh me down or make me groan from being over-sated. If you're looking for a delicious, "light" lunch, I highly recommend it. Oh, and don't forget to get a big glass of their Hibiscus Iced Tea!  

1000 Figs on Urbanspoon

No comments: