Monday, July 22, 2013

Screaming for New Orleans Ice Cream: Coffee & Chicory

Coffee and me, we're buddies. We've been buddies for a long time. I can remember a love affair with coffee that stretches even before my mom obsessed over her first Bunn Coffee Maker, one that likely originated with my grandmother's love of Folgers and my mom's stock of coffee candy that lured me into it's sticky wrapper again and again after the very first piece. When I scored a job out of high school (that wasn't at my father's video store), I did grunt work for a friend who did interior design for the high and mighty rich folk in Hillsborough. Every morning, we had an iced coffee from a tiny coffee house on El Camino Real. This was my first taste of fresh-roasted coffee and I'll never forget the rich, complex flavor of our daily double espressos over ice.

Naturally, it's no surprise that one of the first things that drew me in about New Orleans culture just happened to be a cafe au lait made with that notorious coffee & chicory blend at Cafe du Monde. Coffee & Chicory from the New Orleans Ice Cream Company is just like that first delicious cup o' joy.


This ice cream had a wonderfully creamy consistency and with each spoonful, the rich flavor of coffee, chicory, cream and sugar spreads across your tongue. It's not difficult to luxuriate over each bite, lost in a world of coffee bliss, until your spoon hits the bottom of the carton and you've finished an entire pint. It's easily the finest coffee ice cream I have ever had the pleasure of devouring in one sitting.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.