Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The pain of a penniless foodie: 2010 NOWFE Grand Tastings

At the end of next month, one of the most spectacular dining events of the year will take place in the New Orleans Superdome and I can't go.  From May 25th-29th, this city will be steeped in the throws of a Dionysian celebration of epic proportions for the 2010 New Orleans Wine and Food Experience, a singular celebration that will have attendees and their taste buds dancing through a whirlwind of epicurean excellence with wine dinners all over town hosted by the finest restaurants the Crescent City has to offer.

There will also be "Vinola" wine tasting events at the Harrah's Theater, a "Wine Lovers Musical" at Le Petit Theatre, a variety of food and wine seminars, the ever-popular "Royal Street Stroll" combining art, music and wine on Royal Street in the French Quarter and last, but definitely not least, there will be the Grand Tasting events held at the Superdome.

In May 2007, I was fortunate enough to attend NOWFE's Grand Tasting event where over thirty different wineries and about the same number of restaurants participated in one of the most delicious events I have ever experienced.  I will never forget the fabulous grilled shrimp from the Rib Room, almost large enough to constitute an entire meal, the endless variety of wines I tasted and, lucky us, our table was situated right next to the New Orleans Ice Cream Company where Adrian Simpson, the Ice Cream Man himself was scooping out samples of Chocolate City and Ponchatoula Strawberry.

This year, the Grand Tastings will be offering wine from almost fifty different vitners and culinary delicacies from about fifty different local restaurants including  Commander's Palace, GW Fins, 5 Fifty 5, La Cote Brasserie, Le Meritage, Luke, M Bistro and much, much more!  My mouth is watering in anticipation of an event I won't even be able to attend!  What is a girl to do?

Due to lack of funds, I am throwing a virtual hissy fit because I wanna go!  I am totally jealous of all you folks who are able to attend and you know what?  I don't want to hear about it!  Don't you even dare rub you good fortune in my face while I sit at home on the nights of the Grand Tastings, crying my eyes out in despair and pounding my head against the wall.  Don't you dare come tell me how delectable the wines will be, how perfectly executed the cuisine...don't you even think about it!

That is...unless...you'll take me with you?

No comments: