Thursday, December 10, 2009

Curry Corner: Fiscally responsible dining

All this week I have been considering where to eat and, unfortunately, it was the remaining funds in my checkbook that finally made my decision.  I don’t know about you, but spending over $200 on dining out in only two short weeks is way too rich for my blood.  So, keeping my finances in mind, and the fact that it was freezing cold last night, I decided to stay close to home and visit a corner restaurant I have been wanting to try for some time now…Curry Corner. This is my 17th cheat and I am down 46 pounds.

Considering my love for Indian cuisine, I am surprised I have not tried this little gem sooner.  Curry Corner, on the corner of Oak Street and Carrollton Avenue, happens to be a more convenient (and affordable) offshoot of Sara’s, which is located only a few blocks over on Dublin Street.  I have dined at Sara’s before and hoped the food at Curry Corner would be just as tasty.

When we walked into the restaurant, I immediately saw how this set-up would be an ideal place to come and get curry to go.  Don’t get me wrong, it was decorated nicely and the tables and chairs were quite comfortable, it was the system of acquiring your food that stuck me as timely and efficient.  Set up like a buffet, you receive rice from the server behind the counter and then fill your plate with whatever you choose and, at the end, you pay according to the weight of your plate!

John and I both got two scoops of basmati rice, a helping of garbanzo beans cooked in a tamarind sauce, some cubed chicken in a coconut curry, a nice portion of saag paneer made with spinach and lentils, half of a large samosa and naan.  We loaded up our plates and were surprised when the total price, including a couple of 20 oz. Cokes, was under $20!  We sat down right away and actually had no difficulty cleaning our plates.  The best thing about Indian food is soaking up all the delicious sauces with a piece of warm naan.  I could easily see myself picking up some dinner from Curry Corner to go and bringing it home to John as a nice, spicy surprise.

Completely full, but still anxious for dessert, we walked around the corner to Gelato Pazzo’s to see if they were still open.  We were in luck!  I couldn’t resist ordering a large Mocha to go along with a large half Dulce Leche, half Chocolato gelato.  I know, it’s really cold outside, but in my opinion it is never too cold to eat ice cream.  I love Pazzo’s, their gelato is always delicious.

Perhaps next week, I will be able to afford to dine out without worrying so much about the check, but I do not regret my delicious meal at Curry Corner in the slightest and my wallet certainly agrees with me.

No comments: