Friday, August 21, 2009

Joe Sepie's

When our offices were still located in Harahan, my co-worker and I would frequently visit Joe Sepie's when it opened on the corner of Central Avenue and Jefferson Highway because the food was absolutely fantastic.

Let me tell you, nothing has changed...

My boyfriend and I decided that since we were going to see the new Harry Potter movie at the Palace Theater on Elmwood, we might as well stop and have lunch before the show.  The first place that came to mind was Joe Sepie's and I knew exactly what I wanted to eat, an Ultimate Roast Beef Po-Boy.

We arrived at the immaculately clean restaurant around 2:00 p.m. on Saturday and we were starved due to no breakfast that morning.  We ordered an Ultimate Roast Beef Po-Boy and a Fried Catfish Po-Boy, both with a side of onion rings.  The bread was fresh and chewy and the roast beef smothered in provolone was delectable.  I tasted my BF's catfish and found it equally delicious with a crisp, crunchy batter that contained fresh, flaky catfish.

One of the reasons I am such a fan of Joe Sepie's is that the owner really cares about his customers.  He asks their opinions on new dishes he creates and he goes that "extra mile" when creating simple dishes like homemade french fries and onion rings.  Who makes homemade french fries anymore?

I think Joe Sepie's could easily be about the best Po-Boy shop in New Orleans, one that really focuses on quality products and there are always cool new dishes on the menu like a Veal Parmesan Po-Boy.  I'm going to have to go back soon to try his latest creation, a Muffuletta Egg-Roll.  I know, it sounds bizarre, but I watched as one customer devoured them, relishing every bite.  He (the owner) claimed the classic Muffuletta flavors were more pronounced in the hot egg roll.  I will be back soon to give it a try!

*This was my first food review published online and when the diet began...will it ever end? Probably not.

No comments: